Saturday, April 26, 2008

Growing Some Hops

Magnum, Willamette, Mt. Hood, Cascade, ZeusI have planted a total of five different kinds of hops in buckets. I plan to transplant them into the ground a little later this spring. I just planted 2 more that I got last Thursday (Zeus, Magnum) and am going on a week with three others (Willamette, Mt. Hood and Cascade). This photo was taken before I mowed. The grass has grown really well on this side of the yard. I'm hoping the hops will do the same. I think I may need to raise the soil level to get them maximum exposure.

The Willamette came with a shooter on it already. It was white from being in the fridge for 2 weeks, but as you can see, it's really starting to take off. That thing was sticking out only an inch and was white when I planted it.

I wish I could say the same about the Cascade and Mt. Hood. I need to get on Northern Brewer's forums and start asking questions. I planted all of these in fertilized potting soil and mixed in some organic hummus I had lying around to boot, then watered them with some Miracle Grow.

No comments: